Olga's World

All images and texts posted here are copyright Olga Morgan 2006, 2007, 2008

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlottesville, Virgnia, United States

I am just trying to survive in this world - sometimes feeling like a gypsy in the twilight zone...

Sunday, April 01, 2007

I haven’t been writing for a very long time…If I was a writer in 18th century I would have to discard my inkwell and spend some money on a new one…But here I am once again…
I am on an airplane going to St. John. I have my expectations set very high, which is not necessarily a good thing… Last time I felt like this was a trip to Paris – waiting for something almost magical and nothing could satisfy me as a result. So, I am trying not to do that this time around…

I imagine a picture perfect island… A place where you can find peace not only for your body, but much more importantly for your soul… One of those places that you feel at home… A feeling that I cherish every time I am thinking of the endless deserts and gigantic mountains of Arizona.
St. John…I should probably start with a clean page: no expectations, just an open heart ready to soak up every bit of the ocean water, every touch of the cool breeze and every particle of the infinite dunes…I imagine stepping on the beach and sinking into the pleasant warmth of the sand…Trying to escape from this world of loud cars, busy streets, and constant state of perpetual motion: always forward, never getting anywhere; feeling like a little gerbil on the hamster wheel. I am escaping! To the picture perfect island of Saint John…

So, we left civilization behind…After two short plane rides and a little windy ferry trip – we arrived at St. John, and the beautiful site of boats rocking under the breeze and steep hillsides under the blue sky. Welcome – singing humming birds, welcome – echoing old mountains. I took my first breath of Island air and relaxed – my body, my mind, my soul…

We went to the Frank’s Bay and I realized – I am in heaven, nothing short of a miracle. I got my feet wet in the ocean water, looking at the stones, pieces of coral and little hermit crabs… Serenity…Harmony…. Nature never ceases to amaze me…I am walking on the beach, breathing in all the beauty of this almost untouched land, trying to memorize this moment just as it is – absolutely precious. I pick up some of the “used to be” pieces of coral and try to take a peek into each petite hole – Nature is nothing short of a miracle. I keep pinching myself – Am I dreaming? Can this Paradise Island be in the middle of all the civilization? Can we be so lucky and have these minute islands of peace – all to ourselves? Yes, we can. And I am enjoying one of them right now, memorizing with my skin every breeze, every splash of water, every scent and every touch of the sand under my feet. I am in heaven. Simply in heaven.

Trunk Bay…Turquoise water, bleached and soft as a cotton sand, boulders that provide you with a rare chance for privacy in a secluded corner of the bay… Occasional sail boats passing by completing the picture perfect view…You can enjoy sun bathing; snorkeling or just relaxing…The reef completely takes you over, hypnotizing you into its unique world. Magnificent, delicate corals that look like Chinese fans. Fish of every possible color and shape. You swim into the school of fish and feel like you are in the heart of a rainbow, you are just floating in the middle of the explosion of color. Parrot fish biting at the coral; others hiding behind the stone trying to get something to eat; some – just swimming by and make you feel like they are posing: here, look at me, I am the prettiest of all. So, a relaxing and magical day at Trunk Bay…Driving up and down the steep hillsides on roads that are so narrow, that sometimes you feel that they are too small even for one car. Beautiful recap of the Bay on the drive back, and of course all the sailing boats waiting patiently for their next adventure. Another perfect day….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home